A slightly fun, tenuously festive 10-minute accessibility challenge
To get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter (the link opens in a new tab).
Published: December 2019
The other day, we re-ran the accessibility tool tota11y on our website.
The test suggested that our company’s green was slightly difficult to read for people with visual impairments.
Not terrible, but not great.
So, on the spot, we decided to change it to a shade that’s darker.
Rebranding was far from our minds on that day, but we figured that functional improvement—and inclusivity—should take priority over any other aspects of branding.
Which led us to think of…
A 10-minute challenge to improve the accessibility of your website
This holiday season, let’s give the gift of making the web accessible to more people. Here’s your challenge, should you wish to accept it:
- Set a countdown timer for 10 minutes.
- Find the “tota11y” button at the bottom of tota11y’s homepage (or use the following one)…
…and drag it into your browser’s bookmarks bar.
- Visit your website, and click on the new tota11y button in your bookmarks bar.
- Then click on the tota11y menu icon, which should have appeared in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Pick something that it finds wrong, however small, and fix it immediately. If it conflicts with your brand guidelines, then it may be time to tweak them.
- Don’t try to fix everything in one go. Just pick something you can change right away. Anything is better than nothing.
- Tell the world. (Feel free to copy and paste the details of this challenge.) The more we all talk about accessibility, the higher it will move up the agenda.
- Let us know what you did so we can share it with our followers to spread the word further.
- Have a warm feeling that you’ve improved the web for many people.
Let’s see how many quick accessibility fixes we can make across the web.
How much did you like this article?
© 2020 Implementra Limited trading as Conversion Rate Experts. All rights reserved.