Tips and tools: SaaS pricing models, Poor Charlie’s Almanac, and the lose-lose battle facing social media
Published: January 2024
Here are some great resources we have recently shared with one another(We don’t profit from recommending things. We just love sharing things we think you’ll appreciate. You can see our other Tips and Tools articles here.)
A useful breakdown of SaaS pricing models
Matt Hodges has worked for SaaS heavyweights like Atlassian, Intercom, and Loom. We enjoyed his breakdown of SaaS pricing models—particularly his common-sense assertion that there’s no “perfect” pricing model that works every time. (See the Freemium can fail link in our last Tips and tools article.)
(Of course, the fastest way to optimize your pricing involves systematic research and a data-driven process.)
52 things Tom Whitwell learned in 2023
Each year, Tom Whitwell publishes a list of 52 things he has learned. Last year’s list is as fascinating as ever. Here are four of our favorites:
- Humans are now roughly as tall as we were 12,000 years ago. 4,000 years ago, the average man was 5’4”.
- Only 28 books sold more than 500,000 copies in the US in 2022. Eight of them were by romance novelist Colleen Hoover.
- Scientists in Singapore have developed a tiny flexible battery, powered by the salt in human tears, designed for smart contact lenses.
- 40% of people shown a photoshopped image of themselves riding in a viking ship as a child claimed to remember the (fictional) incident. This replicates a similar experiment from 2002 involving a fictional balloon ride.
The lose-lose battle facing social media
We learned a lot from Evan Armstrong’s article on Content Moderation Double-Bind Theory. (Well okay, not from the title.) He explains why companies like Facebook and X (previously known as Twitter) find themselves in a lose-lose situation and the implications for the rest of us.
Put simply, the Darwinistic nature of user-generated content rewards creators who push for the boundaries of what’s acceptable—to the detriment of the platforms (and society).
As Armstrong says, “basic phenomenon explains all sorts of success and failure in media.”
Free access to Poor Charlie’s Almanac—a real gift
In our last tips and tools article, we referenced the passing of one of our business heroes, Charlie Munger.
Although Munger’s thinking appears in thousands of articles online, his magnum opus is Poor Charlie’s Almanac, a collection of talks and writings. That’s why we were delighted to see that Stripe Press has created a free online version of Poor Charlie’s Almanac (including an audio version) that anyone can access.
The talks may be grounded in Munger’s investment experience, but they are filled with wit, insight, and pithy examples. It’s all good, but we particularly recommend:
- Talk 1: Harvard Commencement Speech
- Talk 2: A lesson on Elementary Worldly Wisdom
- Talk 11: The Psychology of Human Misjudgement
And finally, AI builds Angry… uh… Pumpkins
We were blown away by this AI-created “tribute” to a game you might recognize.
Javi Lopez documents how he created the entire game using a series of prompts on GPT4, Midjourney, and DALL•E 3. See his video and thread on X (previously known as Twitter).
Have you come across something worth sharing? If so, let us know. We could include it in a future article.
How much did you like this article?
What’s your goal today?
1. Hire us to grow your company
We’ve generated hundreds of millions for our clients, using our unique CRE Methodology™. To discover how we can help grow your business:
- Read our case studies, client success stories, and video testimonials.
- Learn about us, and our unique values, beliefs and quirks.
- Visit our “Services” page to see the process by which we assess whether we’re a good fit for each other.
- Schedule your FREE website strategy session with one of our renowned experts.
2. Learn how to do conversion
Download a free copy of our Amazon #1 best-selling book, Making Websites Win, recommended by Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Moz, Econsultancy, and many more industry leaders. You’ll also be subscribed to our email newsletter and notified whenever we publish new articles or have something interesting to share.
Browse hundreds of articles, containing an amazing number of useful tools and techniques. Many readers tell us they have doubled their sales by following the advice in these articles.
3. Join our team
If you want to join our team—or discover why our team members love working with us—then see our “Careers” page.
4. Contact us
We help businesses worldwide, so get in touch!
© 2024 Conversion Rate Experts Limited. All rights reserved.