The fastest way to understand users: talk to a “VOC Aggregator”
What VOC Aggregators are, and why you need to find yours
According to Paul Graham of Y Combinator, to grow an early-stage web business, you should spend all of your waking hours on the following three activities:
- Build the product
- Talk to users
We agree. We spend a good fraction of our time talking with our clients’ users. It’s priceless, but it’s also time-consuming.
So we also talk to people who spend their whole lives speaking with users. For example, salespeople, consultants, and customer-support staff. We call these people “Voice-Of-Customer Aggregators” (or “VOC Aggregators”). VOC Aggregators already understand the users. And they don’t just know facts like “The average user is 40 years old with 2.4 children”; they know the users intuitively, much like you know your own family. In fact, they can often second-guess how the users would react to a particular idea. Plus, because they speak with so many users, they know the relative importance of each issue. When you talk to a VOC Aggregator, you harness the wisdom of thousands of hours of conversations with users.
Of course, you still need to talk to users. But you can accelerate your understanding by identifying your market’s VOC Aggregators and then talking to them.
With this in mind, the updated formula would be:
- Build the product
- Talk to users—and to people who talk to users
How to benefit from VOC Aggregation
Here’s what we recommend you do:
- Identify your own industry’s VOC Aggregators. They may be resellers, consultants, telesales people, customer-support people. They may work for your own company or for other companies in the same supply chain. They may work for online companies, mail-order companies, or bricks-and-mortar companies. So, for example, when we work for phone manufacturers, we spend a lot of time speaking with the staff of bricks-and-mortar phone stores.
- Talk to them. Ask them how they would sell your product. Their approach is likely to mirror the logic of how their customers buy.
- Implement as much of their feedback as you can. Add the rest to your product roadmap and marketing roadmap.
An example of VOC Aggregation
One of the roles of Conversion Rate Experts is to recommend marketing software to its clients. In this respect, we are a VOC Aggregator for marketing software. You might be interested to see this summary of our knowledge, which we created for vendors of marketing software. When you speak with your own industry’s VOC Aggregators, you may wish to ask them to create an equivalent document for your own situation.
So what about the third point, “Exercise”?
Well, you could always get a treadmill desk like our founder Karl’s…
What you should do now
1. If you’d like us to work on your website—to dramatically improve your conversion rate and profits (like we did for all these companies), then claim your FREE website strategy session. On this free phone consultation, one of our experts will discuss your conversion goals and suggest strategies to double your sales.
2. If you’d like to learn conversion for free, go to our “Learning Zone” page, where you can download templates of million-dollar winning pages. Or, if you’d like us to build your company’s in-house capabilities (not for free), then contact us and we’ll discuss your requirements.
3. If you’d like to work for us—or see why our team members love working for us—then see our “Careers” pages.
4. If you enjoyed this article, then so will your friends, so why not share it on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Email
All of our articles are subject to our Testimonial Protocol, which is described here.
Why some of your projects take ten times too long (and what to do about it)
How we evaluate marketing software