Tips and tools: Resources we’ve discovered recently (Feb 11, 2013)
To get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter (the link opens in an overlay).
Here are some great resources we have recently shared with one another(We don’t profit from recommending things. We just love sharing things we think you’ll appreciate. You can see our other Tips and Tools articles here.)
Our consultants use Diigo to share bookmarks with each other. Every few days we receive an email from Diigo summarizing what we’ve all bookmarked. We enjoy receiving the emails, so we figured maybe you would too. Below, we’ve pasted some of the highlights from the past week.
For authenticity, (or maybe just to save time—you’ll never know), we haven’t rewritten the descriptions. They’re the the ones we wrote when we saved the bookmarks in Diigo. Though if we end up doing this regularly, we’ll almost certainly become self-conscious and affected when we write them.
- The seven types of waste. This can apply to visitor flows, or to your own workflows.
- How to use Google Analytics’ new attribution modeling tool.
- BBC – Your Paintings. The UK’s collection of oil paintings (210,000 of them) is now online.
- Bat orphans (video). This has nothing to do with work.
- Write The Docs – A two-day conference for technical writers, documentarians, and all those who write the docs. This looks like a great hub for technical writers.
- GetHuman.com. If you spend a lot of time stuck on hold, this tool will doing the waiting for you, then call you when you reach the front of the queue.
- Yast: Easy time tracking for freelancers and teams. This may come in handy for some of our clients and contractors. The video explains it well. It may actually come in useful for analyzing how you use your own time.
- How can users be prevented from pouring water into coffee machine beans compartment? Some ingenious solutions for fixing a usability problem. (Note that most of them involve changing “affordances.”)
- Discourse. Jeff Atwood’s new project: forum software that doesn’t look like it’s ten years old.
- A periodic table of visualization methods. Click on each “element” to see an example of it. I’ve just noticed a type of chart that’s missing: “The contrived, fake periodic table.” Those are popular.
- Gumroad – how it works. This is apparently the best platform for selling information products (like software, courses, audio, ebooks). It looks great. The user experience is amazing. You get a short URL that you can send prospects to.
- How we fired our office. Some good remote-collaboration tools.
- iDoneThis. A tool that asks employees what they got done each day. Might be useful for clients.
- SelfControl. A bit like Freedom, this app stops you from viewing certain sites for a limited time, so you can get something more useful done.
How much did you like this article?
What’s your goal today?
1. Hire us to grow your company
We’ve generated hundreds of millions for our clients, using our unique CRE Methodology™. To discover how we can help grow your business:
- Read our case studies, client success stories, and video testimonials.
- Learn about us, and our unique values, beliefs and quirks.
- Visit our “Services” page to see the process by which we assess whether we’re a good fit for each other.
- Claim your FREE website strategy session with one of our renowned experts.
2. Learn how to do conversion
Browse hundreds of articles, containing an amazing number of useful tools and techniques. Many readers tell us they have doubled their sales by following the advice in these articles.
Download a free copy of our Amazon #1 best-selling book, Making Websites Win, recommended by Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Moz, Econsultancy, and many more industry leaders. You’ll also be subscribed to our email newsletter and notified whenever we publish new articles or have something interesting to share.
3. Join our team (we’re actively hiring!)
If you want to join our team—or discover why our team members love working with us—then see our “Careers” page.
4. Contact us
We help businesses worldwide, so get in touch!
© 2021 Conversion Rate Experts Limited. All rights reserved.