Buffet delegation: A low-risk way to delegate difficult work
To get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter (the link opens in an overlay).
Published: November 2020
Delegation is usually push-based: you select the work and then delegate it.
Often, we prefer to use a process we call buffet delegation. (Note that it’s “buffet” with one “t”—as in cheese cubes and mini turkey meatballs. It has nothing to do with Warren Buffett.) Buffet delegation is pull-based: we lay out all the work that needs doing, and then the person to whom we are delegating chooses the work at which they believe they’d be best.
Buffet delegation is particularly suitable for delegating to someone new to our company (because they know what they are best at, and we don’t).
A buffet-delegation meeting typically lasts about an hour. We spend most of that time talking through all the projects on our to-do lists. The meeting is unrushed, and exploratory to the point of feeling inefficient. The goal is to identify work that lies at the intersection of the following:
- It matches their skills and interests, so they’ll be able to do it well.
- It’s standalone enough so that it doesn’t require a vast amount of prior knowledge, training, or handover work.
- It’s a high priority for our company. In the past, we have made the mistake of delegating work that’s wasn’t already on our to-do lists. We ended up stuck with our existing workload and not having time to manage the new work.
A side effect of buffet-delegation meetings is that the person learns about all the other things we are working on, giving them a bird’s-eye view of our company.
If you do try buffet delegation, please let us know how you get on so that we can update this article. Is there anything we should change or add?
How much did you like this article?
What’s your goal today?
1. Hire us to grow your company
We’ve generated hundreds of millions for our clients, using our unique CRE Methodology™. To discover how we can help grow your business:
- Read our case studies, client success stories, and video testimonials.
- Learn about us, and our unique values, beliefs and quirks.
- Visit our “Services” page to see the process by which we assess whether we’re a good fit for each other.
- Claim your FREE website strategy session with one of our renowned experts.
2. Learn how to do conversion
Browse hundreds of articles, containing an amazing number of useful tools and techniques. Many readers tell us they have doubled their sales by following the advice in these articles.
Download a free copy of our Amazon #1 best-selling book, Making Websites Win, recommended by Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Moz, Econsultancy, and many more industry leaders. You’ll also be subscribed to our email newsletter and notified whenever we publish new articles or have something interesting to share.
3. Work for us
If you want to join our team—or if you want to discover why our team members love working for us—then see our “Careers” pages.
4. Contact us
We help businesses worldwide, so get in touch!
© 2021 Conversion Rate Experts Limited. All rights reserved.