How to convince your company (or clients) to focus on conversion
To get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter (the link opens in an overlay).
If your colleagues aren’t persuaded that conversion is important, send them this article. It contains the same video we send to our clients’ teams.
You can share this article with your co-workers via email (using this mailto link) or, if you’re an extrovert, via social media.
Conversion is a team activity. If your bosses, co-workers, and employees don’t share your vision and enthusiasm, you’ll struggle to get results. Before you can convert your visitors, you must convert your co-workers. We discovered this the hard way. In our early days, we noticed that though many of our client projects moved rapidly, a few of them stumbled along the same rocky path:
- Phase 1: We’d be hired by a “kindred spirit”—someone who was excited about conversion and liked our approach to it.
- Phase 2: The project would be delegated by the Kindred Spirit to others who didn’t understand what conversion rate optimization (CRO) was, never mind why it was essential to a company’s success.
As a result, we started to feel less like we were part of a team of people pulling in the same direction, and more like salmon swimming upstream.
A simple video that made a big difference
Then we had a breakthrough. We created an “onboarding” video to send to every member of a client’s team, including the developers, graphic designers, UX designers, “brand police,” and legal teams. The video described the vital few things that everyone should know about CRO, including:
- Several non-obvious reasons why CRO is more important than it might appear.
- Why CRO benefits not just your company but also your career.
- The kind of results that companies have achieved with CRO.
- The seven steps of research-based CRO, and why they are much more effective than the more commonly used methods.
- The “cup of coffee” test, and why you must address bottlenecks head on.
- Six things that our most successful clients do differently (often dramatically so).
We also began inviting everyone in our clients’ teams to sign up to our email newsletter, because the more they learn, the more they’re empowered. Just because someone doesn’t have the word “conversion” in his or her job title doesn’t mean that CRO knowledge can’t change the course of his or her career.
The video—and the invites to the email newsletter—worked even better than we had hoped. From the first minute of each subsequent project’s kick-off meeting, all of the client’s team members were already energized because they understood what we were doing and why.
Of course, we still encounter people who don’t “get” CRO no matter how much we explain it, but these days they tend to be outnumbered by those who do understand its importance. In fact, several of our clients have adopted our methodology far beyond the “conversion department.” (For further details, read this interview with one of our clients, whom we helped to become the UK’s fifth-fastest-growing company.)
Here’s a transcript of the video. Even if your company has no plans of ever becoming a client of ours, you’ll find it useful. As a reader of our website, you probably already know the first sections, so you may wish to skip to later sections.
Don’t keep your CRO know-how to yourself
When we started Conversion Rate Experts, we felt that educating a client’s wider team was a chore that stood in the way of our doing the real work. We soon realized that it’s a core CRO skill. In fact, perhaps the most important aspect of our service is that we help our clients to adopt the practices of the most successful web companies.
So before you convert your visitors, you must convert your co-workers. Don’t keep your CRO know-how to yourself. To get massive success you need to multiply your knowledge and effort over as many people as possible.
How much did you like this article?
What’s your goal today?
1. Hire us to grow your company
We’ve generated hundreds of millions for our clients, using our unique CRE Methodology™. To discover how we can help grow your business:
- Read our case studies, client success stories, and video testimonials.
- Learn about us, and our unique values, beliefs and quirks.
- Visit our “Services” page to see the process by which we assess whether we’re a good fit for each other.
- Claim your FREE website strategy session with one of our renowned experts.
2. Learn how to do conversion
Browse hundreds of articles, containing an amazing number of useful tools and techniques. Many readers tell us they have doubled their sales by following the advice in these articles.
Download a free copy of our Amazon #1 best-selling book, Making Websites Win, recommended by Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Moz, Econsultancy, and many more industry leaders. You’ll also be subscribed to our email newsletter and notified whenever we publish new articles or have something interesting to share.
3. Work for us
If you want to join our team—or if you want to discover why our team members love working for us—then see our “Careers” pages.
4. Contact us
We help businesses worldwide, so get in touch!
© 2020 Implementra Limited trading as Conversion Rate Experts. All rights reserved.