Get the company handbooks of the world’s most sophisticated businesses
(By the way, to get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter.)
They encourage their staff to move quickly, act autonomously, and constantly experiment. Many of their working practices would seem alien to a traditional project manager or HR consultant.
Fortunately, such companies also tend to publish how they work.
The list below contains company manuals and culture books from many of the world’s most successful businesses. If you want to grow fast and build an incredible team, they are an amazing source of inspiration.
We hope you find them useful:
- The Netflix Culture (which has superseded the famous Netflix Culture Deck). Patty McCord, co-creator of the culture deck, recently wrote a book called Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility.
- The book Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard, the eccentric founder of Patagonia.
- Google’s values and Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead.
- The Basecamp Employee Handbook.
- The Valve Handbook.
- The Hubspot Culture Code.
- Bridgewater’s Principles and Culture.
- Delivering Happiness, a book about Zappos’ culture, and The Zappos Culture Book.
- Jeff Bezos interviewed by Charlie Rose about Amazon’s philosophy and Amazon’s leadership principles.
- Glitch’s (formerly Fog Creek) remote work policy.
- Book In A Box’s culture bible.
- Crisp’s “DNA”
- GitHub is interesting in that it reverted from a self-help structure to a management-driven structure. For more about GitHub, see the slides of talks that its founder, Zach Holman, has given over the years.
- The Gitlab Handbook is an awesome, detailed insight into how the company now works. It’s also a great example of the value of documenting company procedures
- From Brewdog, the “Field Guide On How To Be More Brewdog.” We like its history section (Section 1), which reminds newcomers how quickly the company is developing. We also like that it has a stories section (Section 2). Stories can teach newcomers how the company does things.
- The Manager’s Handbook by Clearbit’s founder, Alex MacCaw.
- Many more companies’ culture decks on SlideShare.
We also like the following articles about culture:
- What makes work meaningful—or meaningless
- 80% of your culture is your founder
- The first two chapters of the book The Lean Mindset by Mary and Tom Poppendieck
Please let us know if you discover any other culture books—or great resources for managing companies.
What’s your goal today?
1. Hire us to grow your company
We’ve generated hundreds of millions for our clients, using our unique CRE Methodology™. To discover how we can help grow your business:
- Read our case studies, client success stories, and video testimonials.
- Learn about us, and our unique values, beliefs and quirks.
- Visit our “Services” page to see the process by which we assess whether we’re a good fit for each other.
- Schedule your FREE website strategy session with one of our renowned experts.
2. Learn how to do conversion
Download a free copy of our Amazon #1 best-selling book, Making Websites Win, recommended by Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Moz, Econsultancy, and many more industry leaders. You’ll also be subscribed to our email newsletter and notified whenever we publish new articles or have something interesting to share.
Browse hundreds of articles, containing an amazing number of useful tools and techniques. Many readers tell us they have doubled their sales by following the advice in these articles.
3. Join our team (we’re actively hiring!)
If you want to join our team—or discover why our team members love working with us—then see our “Careers” page.
4. Contact us
We help businesses worldwide, so get in touch!
© 2023 Conversion Rate Experts Limited. All rights reserved.