How we more-than-doubled the leads for a SaaS company (with images of the winning pages)
(By the way, to get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter—the link opens in an overlay.)
Earth Class Mail is the world’s leading mail-digitization service. It allows people to receive their paper mail electronically. The customer’s paper mail is sent directly to Earth Class Mail, which receives and scans it. The customers can then read and manage all of their mail from any device, wherever they are in the world.
Which is why we were brought in.
This article describes the progress we’ve made so far.
Phase I: Analyzing the business and identifying opportunities
The most critical—and most frequently ignored—stage of our unique methodology is the research that we carry out before we make any changes to the website. Our in-depth analysis of Earth Class Mail included the following:
- We hosted a strategy session with the Earth Class Mail team to discuss its goals, growth plans, marketing strategy, and how we’d measure success.
- We reviewed the due diligence that Xenon Ventures had carried out before purchasing Earth Class Mail, to understand its reasons for investing, and its goals for the company.
- We studied Earth Class Mail’s Google Analytics data to identify which stages of its conversion funnel offered the biggest—and fastest—opportunities for growth.
- We reviewed the customer service team’s data to understand the questions it receives, and how it answers them.
- We designed surveys and polls to understand Earth Class Mail’s customers—and its non-converting visitors.
Phase II: Landing page optimization increased leads by 61%
Next, we designed the landing pages. Most companies skip straight to this phase, basing their designs on guesswork and so-called “best practices”—and then they get disheartened when their tests fail. Our experience has shown that the biggest wins tend to be based on insights that were gleaned from the research phase. Here’s the new landing page we designed. It beat the original version by 61%:
Reasons it won: 1. We amplified the value proposition
Our research revealed that many visitors didn’t understand the benefits of using Earth Class Mail—a problem that we addressed on our new page:
Reasons it won: 2. We included proof to build credibility and trust
Our surveys revealed that the visitors needed more reassurance before trusting a company to handle their mail. So we added the following trust elements to the page.
Phase III: Optimizing the pricing page gave 57% more leads
Next, we moved on to the pricing page.
Here’s the new pricing page we designed. It beat the original version by 57%:
Reasons it won: 1. We didn’t stop selling
Most websites assume that once visitors reach the pricing page (or checkout), they have decided to buy. Big mistake. Just before visitors see the price, they need to be reminded of the value.
So, above the pricing, we repeated the value proposition and the “future pacing” section:
Reasons it won: 2. We explained the service in more detail
Our on-page surveys revealed the questions that visitors had when viewing the pricing plans. So we added a section that answered those questions:
Reasons it won: 3. We reduced risk with a money-back guarantee
What all this means for Earth Class Mail
Earth Class Mail has calculated this new conversion funnel to be worth over $1.5 million in extra revenue. And the benefits don’t stop there.
The increase in conversion means that Earth Class Mail makes more money from its existing marketing activities, and can afford to increase its advertising spend across new channels. This will allow it to rapidly increase its market share.
Some of the tools we used
- To run A/B-tests, we used Convert.com. Of all the A/B-testing software tools, Convert.com is one of the easiest to use. Our consultants find its live chat support invaluable.
- To better understand how visitors interacted with the website, we used Hotjar, of which we are big fans. Hotjar makes it easy to manage on-page analytics and visitor feedback in one interface.
- We identified user-experience issues and opportunities by conducting usability tests.
- The video was hosted with YouTube. (Here’s a useful guide for advanced YouTube techniques.)
- To understand Earth Class Mail’s visitors and customers, we sent out surveys using FluidSurveys and SurveyGizmo. We then analyzed all 1,540 responses.
Big thanks to the Earth Class Mail team
It is an absolute pleasure working alongside the Earth Class Mail team. We’d like to thank them for having confidence in Conversion Rate Experts, for trusting in our CRE Methodology, and for being so fast-moving, energetic and action-oriented.
If you think you could benefit from receiving your paper mail electronically, visit Earth Class Mail.
A few words from the CEO of Earth Class Mail, Doug Breaker
Could you use more case studies like this?
If you would like to see more of our clients’ results, you can find a long list at our “Clients and Results” page.
How much did you like this article?
What’s your goal today?
1. Hire us to grow your company
We’ve generated hundreds of millions for our clients, using our unique CRE Methodology™. To discover how we can help grow your business:
- Read our case studies, client success stories, and video testimonials.
- Learn about us, and our unique values, beliefs and quirks.
- Visit our “Services” page to see the process by which we assess whether we’re a good fit for each other.
- Schedule your FREE website strategy session with one of our renowned experts.
2. Learn how to do conversion
Download a free copy of our Amazon #1 best-selling book, Making Websites Win, recommended by Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Moz, Econsultancy, and many more industry leaders. You’ll also be subscribed to our email newsletter and notified whenever we publish new articles or have something interesting to share.
Browse hundreds of articles, containing an amazing number of useful tools and techniques. Many readers tell us they have doubled their sales by following the advice in these articles.
3. Join our team (we’re actively hiring!)
If you want to join our team—or discover why our team members love working with us—then see our “Careers” page.
4. Contact us
We help businesses worldwide, so get in touch!
© 2022 Conversion Rate Experts Limited. All rights reserved.